When TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Restaurants Awards were announced last month, the Award went to a country pub of Yorkshire, England. The Black Swan at Oldstead York, North Yorkshire has won the customer’s choice award, making it the first British Restaurant to win the Travellers’ Choice Awards, which were started in 2012. The interesting part about this win is that these awards are not decided by a judging panel and are instead determined by an algorithm that takes into account the quality and quantity of reviews for any restaurant, and this data is gathered for a period of 12-months before the winner is finally announced. So, for a restaurant to win this award, there is this need to deliver both, consistency as well as excellence. I am sure you must be excited to know more about the award-winning restaurant and for that, you need to read further:
1.The Black Swan is basically an inn situated in the Oldstead village and it provides food, drink, and accommodation to the customers who can book their table or room from their official Website. Now, due to the popularity of the place, the tables are mostly fully booked, and so you need to book well in advance. In this case, the tables can be booked 3 months prior to your visit, and a room can be booked 6 months before you make your trip to the best restaurant in the world.
2.The inn is a 16th-Century building, having the perfect rural charm to it. It is set on the edge of the North York Moor National Park. So, you can even enjoy being in nature’s arms, apart from tingling your taste buds.
3.The restaurant is owned and run by The Banks family, who have lived and farmed in the picturesque village for generations. Tom and Anne Banks bought the place in 2006, and since then their two sons have also joined them in the family business.
4.The elder son James Banks runs the front-of-house and Tommy Banks heads the kitchen as the Head Chef. Tommy Banks became the youngest British Head Chef to win a Michelin star ever at the age of 24, four years ago. Now, you why the title of World’s Best Restaurant went to The Black Swan! Well, this is just one of the reasons.
5.Most of the ingredients for the dishes come from their own kitchen garden, which has an official Instagram account to itself, to show to the world how things grow for the menu at Black Swan.
6. The best part about the restaurant, which is probably the reason why people love coming here is that they serve a Tasting Menu, which changes on a daily basis. But, they can show you the kind of stuff they offer in their Sample Menu.
7. Another great thing about their service is that we can notify them of our certain dietary requirements, like if we are vegetarian or not and other needs and they make arrangements to prepare a menu based on our needs. Although not every strict diet can come under this service, because let’s be fair, they are already doing the best they can to serve us the best of food.
8. Tommy Banks is coming out with his first book, Roots, where he shares the philosophies and techniques that he and his family and staff members have developed at the Black Swan over the years.
View this post on Instagram
Oh…THIS is going to be great 😍 Link to preorder in bio… • #Repost @tommybanks ・・・ So cool to be able to reveal the cover of 'Roots'🌱 my first book, which will be released on April 5th next year. You can preorder a copy if you click the link in my Insta bio 👆🏼 It's going to be so great to share the techniques and philosophies that we have developed @blackswan_oldstead 🌱 #rootscookbook #roots #comingsoon
9. The family that runs this Rural Retreat feels lucky to have a creatively talented and a hard-working team. They believe that their work is not a job, but a lifestyle for them.
10. And, a table for 2 in the best restaurant in the world is booked till 16th January 2018 according to their official Instagram handle. But, you can try your luck if there are any cancellations or if you decide to take a few more people with you because there is some availability for a table for 4-6 people.
I am sure you are as eager to go taste the fine British cuisine at Black Swan as we are. Hope you have fun there. 🙂
Feature Image Source: Wikimedia/Gordon Hatton
Latest posts by Kanchan Choudhary (see all)
- 10 Interesting Facts About The Beautiful Alps - October 11, 2018
- 7 Interesting facts about one of the Seven Wonders of the World, Christ the Redeemer - August 12, 2018
- Niagara Falls Looks Like A Winter Wonderland After Getting FROZEN! - January 9, 2018